The main purpose with dry granulation is to increase the density of the powder and increase the particle size to ensure a better flow of the distributed material, resulting in a better processing ability.
Granulation is the process in which powder particles are made to adhere to each other, resulting in larger, multi-particle entities, so called granules. In dry granulation, the process is performed without adding liquids, whereas wet granulation is performed by adding granulation fluid. In dry granulation, the powder is compressed by applying force, which will thereby give a larger unit, eg a tablet. To obtain the desired size of granules, the compaction process is followed by a milling step.
Dry granulation is most often used in the pharmaceutical industry for the manufacturing of tablets, but can also be used in, among other things, for manufacturing in the food industry or chemical industries.
Roller compaction is the best method to achieve the desired result by dry granulation. At PPS, we offer first-class equipment for dry granulation from Gerteis – a leading market leader in equipment for dry granulation, with a focus on roller compactors.
A Gerteis roller compactor typically consists of 3 major units:
- A feeding system, which conveys the powder to the compaction area between the rollers
- A compaction unit, where the powder is compacted between two counter rotating rolls by applying a force, to form ribbons or flakes
- A size reduction unit, for milling the ribbons into granules of the desired particle size
Roller compactors can be divided into two categories: One is equipped with a fixed gap, the other one with a floating gap. Machines from Gerteis are equipped with a variable distance (floating gap), which means that the rollers can change depending on how much powder gets through. The force applied to the powder is constant and the variable distance helps to ensure that fluctuations in granule size are reduced to a minimum.
The advantages of dry granulation
In contrast to wet granulation, dry granulation is a truly continuous process. This results in various economic advantages. Currently the throughput of common dry granulation systems can reach approx. 400kg/h. Dry granulation systems require lower capital investment in facilities or equipment. This, together with much lower maintenance requirements results in drastically reduced lifecycle costs.
Nearly all dry powders can be processed on a Gerteis dry granulation system.
Advantages of dry granulation:
- Minimal floor space
- Large throughput of material (highly efficient process)
- Truly continuous process
- Highly energy efficient; no heat for drying and no air conditioning required as for other granulation techniques
- Ultra High Containment Options are available to avoid contamination of manufacturing areas and personnel from high potent actives
- Low running costs
Hear how dry granulation can change your production
If you have any questions or wish to know more about how dry granulation can change your procution, please contact us here.
PPS Service & Aftersales
Uniquely for the industry PPS has its own service department, which is of great benefit to our customers. PPS service department has specially trained technicians with the highest expertise and experience. We offer a long list of services, including:
- Installation and renovation of existing equipment.
- Design of complete solutions; everything from the requirements specifications and logistics, to execution and validation.
- Competent feedback on automation solutions or other type of process optimization.
- Installing and/or moving entire manufacturing or packaging lines.
- Training of technical personnel and operators in optimal use of the installed equipment.
- Tailor-made service and aftersales agreements for ongoing maintenance as well as assistance in case of breakdown.
In addition, PPS delivers spare parts and consumables directly to our customers from own stock. Having our own stock ensures fast and efficient delivery, which minimizes any production downtime for our customers.
If you want to know more about our service department, please contact us directly or get more information here.