Tablet coating is a sensitive process and takes place in a controlled atmosphere inside a rotating drum.
Tablet coating is used for applying non-functional or functional coating, as well as API-layering. Applications include taste masking, smoother finish, colour modification, physical protection or to control the rate of dissolution.
PPS and Diosna supply tablet coating technology at the highest quality, ranging from lab scale to industrial scale. Moreover, coaters can be equipped with SCADA and CFR21 part 11 compliance.
Desktop mini-lab for R&D and laboratory purpose
PPS and Diosna offer a highly flexible mini-lab which can easily be scaled up. The solution is ideal for R&D purposes and small scale productions. The mini-lab offers drying, granulating, coating, and tablet coating in one device.
- Batch sizes 500 g to 3,000 g.
- Glass components for easy process monitoring.
- A number of different applications are available to match your individual requirements.
Vertical centrifugal coater for pilot plant & small scale production
PPS and Diosna supply a flexible tablet coater with a wide range of coating methods – even of products such as micro tablets, odd-shaped tablets or products of adverse flow characteristics. Owing to the use of an alternative coating technology the processing time is 50% faster compared to conventional coating.
- Batch sizes 2 kg to 15 kg.
- Ideal solution for containment applications.
- Centrically arranged spraying nozzle for even coating.
Vertical centrifugal coater for production scale batches
The tablet coater is suitable for production of larger batches and delivers efficient and accurate film-coating of tablets. The centred spraying nozzle ensures 360° coating of the tablet and significantly reduced spray losses. The alternative coating technology offers 50% faster process times compared to conventional coating.
- Batches from 25 kg to 150 kg.
- Fully automatic discharge.
- Available as complete containment design.
Horizontal drum coater
The horizontal drum coater is technology at the highest stage, assuring gentle processing for sensitive products and allowing applications of all types of coating, including hydrous coating, functional coating or coating of humidity-sensitive tablets.
- Batch sizes 5 kg to 500 kg.
- Optional containment design.
- Space saving “through-the-wall” installation.
Tablet coating process
Tablet coating is the process of adding an outer layer to the surface of a dosage form, such as pharmaceutical drugs or dietary supplements. Coating is a sensitive process and takes place inside a rotating drum, where a spraying nozzle disperse the coating material.
There are several different objectives to a coated surface. Some of the many reasons are related to practical functions, such as to improve physical and chemical stability of the dosage or to ease swallowing. Other times a functional coating is needed to modify or control drug release, or to mask any unpleasant taste or smell. And finally coating may serve a more esthetic function, such as product appearance or branding purposes.
Coating processes often include film coating or sugar coating.
A film coating is a thin coating based on polymer, which is often used to control when the medication is released. In general, the functionality can be divided into three types:
- Coating enabling immediate release.
This type of coating enables the drug release immediately after ingesting.
- Coating enabling enteric release.
Enteric coating is a polymer barrier that protects the pharmaceutical drug from the acidity in the stomach or protects the stomach from any harmful effects of the drug Enteric coating may also help control that the medication only dissolves once past the stomach.
- Coating enabling sustained or modified release.
With this coating the medication is released with a delay after its administration or is dissolved over a period of time. The coated surface may also release the drug at a predetermined rate, ensuring constant dosage for a specific amount of time.
In the process of sugar coating a sucrose-based solution is added to the tablet cores as they are rotated in a coating pan. Sugar coating is used for immediate release tablets. Sugar coating is usually applied to mask any unpleasant taste or scent, or for aesthetic purposes.
PPS Service & Aftersales
Uniquely for the industry PPS has its own service department, which is of great benefit to our customers. PPS service department has specially trained technicians with the highest expertise and experience. We offer a long list of services, including:
- Installation and renovation of existing equipment.
- Design of complete solutions; everything from the requirements specifications and logistics, to execution and validation.
- Competent feedback on automation solutions or other type of process optimization.
- Installing and/or moving entire manufacturing or packaging lines.
- Training of technical personnel and operators in optimal use of the installed equipment.
- Tailor-made service and aftersales agreements for ongoing maintenance as well as assistance in case of breakdown.
In addition, PPS delivers spare parts and consumables directly to our customers from own stock. Having our own stock ensures fast and efficient delivery, which minimizes any production downtime for our customers.
If you want to know more about our service department, please contact us directly or get more information here.